(first, let me just point out how badly I wanted to do a play on April Fools for the name of this post)
Tonight, I did something I’ve never done before. I chose to clean instead of work out. I don’t choose working out over cleaning because I love to work out that much; I do it because I dislike cleaning that much. Seriously, sometimes I pick stuff up and think, “WTF am I suppose to do with this?” Obviously if it is a magazine the answer is never to throw it away. I might need those articles again sometime.
Ok, I’m not really that bad (most of the time). I am pretty good at organizing stuff. When I moved in with Matt, I was able to merge most of my stuff with his by putting in more shelving and rearranging how everything was organized in the storage room, closets and cabinets. But, I’m not good with the day-to-day upkeep around the house. I think I got into the mood to clean tonight because it is spring and we are having my family over on Saturday night. So… enough about my lack of cleaning skills.
I read a really good blog post on Saturday where the author graded herself on various goals she had set for the month of March. She had cute little chalkboard icons and everything.
I can’t remember the name of the blog and it is driving me nuts! I remembered the blog… it is Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat. I highly recommend checking it out. I thought it was a really good idea to set goals for the month since it is such a short amount of time. These aren’t really “goals” as much as things I want to get done in April.
Partake in a few personal indulgences.
I am bad at this. I have been talking about getting my car detailed for over two years. Have I had it done yet? Nope. I buy one pair of jeans every 18-24 months because I can’t justify spending money on clothes that can’t be worn at work every day. I indulge every now and then on smaller things, like some makeup I just bought at MAC, but I really don’t shop a lot for myself. So, here are my personal indulgences:
- Get my car detailed. I love my car so, yes, this is a personal indulgence.
- Buy a new pair of jeans. I already have this planned for the weekend of April 14 when Colleen comes to town! The pair I bought last year is too stretchy so I have saggy butt by the end of Casual Friday.
- Start my race bib scrapbook. This isn’t really a financial indulgence as it is a time indulgence. I want to dedicate a few hours one afternoon to finally starting a scrapbook for my race bibs. They currently look like a big tangled pile of messiness:
Stay on the healthiness journey.
Ok, obviously I’m going to do this… especially now that I found my wedding dress and have extra motivation. I wanted to put a couple specific things down about this though.
- Swim 3 lengths of the pool without stopping. Considering I can’t even swim one length right now, this will be very hard for me. I am really nervous about this one, but it needs to be done. Time to put the swimming lessons I took 3 years ago to use.
- Complete 10 incline push-ups. This will be another tough one, but necessary for Tough Mudder!
- Lose 4 pounds. I’ve been bouncing around the past few weeks and need to start making some progress here.
Career / Personal Development
I own 23 books about business or leadership that have either been given to me or I bought (not including 2-3 other books that I swear I own, but can’t seem to find). I have had the best intentions to read them… at some point. I am actually interested in these topics, but what usually happens is I put them on my bookshelf and completely forget about them.
- Read three of the books. I already started The Energy Bus last night. It is pretty good so far. Don’t worry, you will hear about it when I am done 🙂
Make progress on the wedding planning front.
Venue, photographer, and DJ booked. Check. Wedding Dress. Check. Ok, so we have made good progress so I can’t really complain. We just want to make sure we plug along so there aren’t any surprises. These are some big things we want to get done in April
- Price out professional invitations versus DIY invitations. We know DIY will be cheaper, but we want to figure out if the savings is worth our time trying to do them on our own. I love crafts so I wouldn’t mind doing them on my own, but the summer is also already starting to get busy.
- Pick out the bridesmaid dress. This will be done on April 14!
- Plan the ceremony music. This is up to Matt since I got my way and we are going with a DJ instead of a band 🙂
- Send a “Save the Date” email with the hotel information. Klassy. I know. But, we don’t see much point in sending formal Save the Dates if we are going to send invitations in two months anyway.
- Book our engagement photos. My friend Denise very nicely offered to take our engagement photos… and I’ve been a flake and haven’t gotten back to her. So, I need to do that this week.
There it is. My month in a nutshell. I’m sure I’ll do some other things too, but these are the big ones to get done.
What goals do you have for the month?